The Business Services Department strives for continuous improvement through education and training in order to provide quality technical guidance and support by cooperation and communication in a friendly and professional manner, and to assure and maintain fiscal compliance and financial stability to our customers.
External Business Financial Services:
- Provides financial services to school districts, assisting them in satisfying state financial accountability requirements under AB-1200 and subsequent legislation.
- Provides fiscal services that support districts' efforts in maximizing revenues while also ensuring accuracy and consistency in meeting their legal fiscal requirements.
- Analyzes and reviews districts' budget and interim financial reports.
- Prepares multi-year revenue and expenditure projections to determine school districts' financial solvency.
- Provides AB3627 audit resolution, oversight, and follow-up.
- Prepares district revenue limits and collects and reports ADA (average daily attendance).
- Prepares accounting and reporting to State Teacher's Retirement System (STRS), Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS), and other payroll related agencies.
- Distributes districts' revenue, and prepares and computes the state reports which generate the majority of school districts' revenue.
- Audits and processes all districts' payments including payroll and vendor payment.
- Acts as liaison between the California Department of Education and the school districts.
- Provides technical and financial analysis and support of the financial system.
- Provides current legislative updates.
- Internal Business Services:
- Budgeting: Budgeting and financial accounting for internal operations.
- Purchasing: Provide customer service to SCSOS and vendors in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Audit: Administration of internal audit, maintenance of records and information for official audits.
- Debt Service Management: Certificates of participation, tax collection, local bonding credit data, TRANS.
- Facilities: External, financing.
- Financial Planning: Cost analysis, fiscal analysis, fiscal management, budget development, long-range fiscal planning, revenue estimations and cash flow analysis, budget control, creative financing, and cash management.
- Fund Accounting: Governmental funds, proprietary funds, fiduciary funds, internal accounts/controls, student body fund, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll reporting, fringe benefits, inventory/fixed assets, general ledger. County-wide implementation of the new State Standardized Account Code Structure (SACS) system.
- Reporting: Local, state, federal financial and statistical reports.
- Records Retention and Data Archival
- Reimbursements: Travel, mileage, purchase cards, and employee reimbursements.