Feather River Academy is an Alternative Education program operated by the Sutter County Superintendent of Schools. Our program was created to serve students who have not been successful in traditional programs and need an alternative approach to become successful. The foundation of our alternative approach is:
- Give all students respect - their respect for us will have to be earned. One way to give students respect is to challenge them academically.
- Students achieve out of commitment to themselves and to those they care about. Establishing and maintaining committed, supportive, and caring relationships along with using evidence-based instructional strategies will lead to student achievement.
- Treat all students as individuals. This demands flexibility and adaptation to meet the academic, social, and developmental needs of each individual student. Students may be matched to Opportunity School, Independent Studies or our Community program based on a variety of factors.
- Instruction is the core of what we do. Without effective instruction, the other pieces meet only emotional needs and do not lead to our primary goal of academic success for each student. We are not a social services agency, we are educators.
- We rely on referrals from school districts, probation, and SARB (Student Attendance Review Board) to enroll each student. We then work with students and families to develop out educational plans for each student based on their individual need. An MOU (Memorandum of Understanding -a kind of partnership) continues to provide the foundation of the relationship between Feather River Academy and the referring agency. For students and families, this means the following:
Students and families cannot self-refer. Potential students must begin the enrollment process by making contact with the school district where they reside.
Students are encouraged to be successful in returning to and graduating from the school they came from. Every student can be successful in doing so through participation in the planning process and meeting the goals that were identified. We will work along with the students and families to assist in the return process.
Our curriculum (the books and materials used in the classroom) is matched to the largest referring district (Yuba City Unified). The scope and sequence of instruction (what is taught and when during the academic year) is generally aligned as well. This helps returning students become familiar with the classes they may return to.
Feather River Academy does not offer competitive athletics as that term is defined by Education Code Section 221.9 (e).